Thursday, June 10, 2010

love thursday 06.10.10 ~ you local? or i love hawaii part two

(loud shirt and jacket...because you asked)

Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing.

~ Robert Benchley ~

Twice before I even reached my destination, Hawaiian residents asked me if I lived in Kona.

We bought groceries at the Kona Natural Food Store. One of the employees greeted us warmly when we entered--but that is not unusual in Hawaii. A couple days later I went back in to buy a dozen eggs. The man who gave us the warm first greeting was my checker. I paid and left.

Yesterday, I went through my receipts for the trip and came across the one for the eggs. 10% off. Kama'aina discount.

Last time I was there, a Hawaiian man wearing rubber boots, apron, and baseball cap stood outside the fish market. When I walked by he said, "You local?"

"No. Just visiting."

"Well, you should be."

6 comments:

Deb Shucka said...

Thank you for the amazing picture! It's a little hard to see the clothing through the bright bright light of your happy face. Perhaps it's time for you to reconsider where you belong?

Joan said...

Hawaii suits you. But if you move there, please take me with you!?

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Maybe it's a sign?

Susan O'Neil said...

Yes, you should be! And I should be your house guest! Sorry, I missed your 700th! I"m in Milwaukee--friday is my parents' 50th wedding anniversary party. So the quotes since you got back are particularly meaningful to me--dealing with family, you know. Anyways, glad you had such a good time and were able to go to your spiritual home. Your soul must resonate so strongly there that all can feel/see it.

Cowtown Pattie said...

I've only been once - to Oahu. Beautiful place, but oh so expensive.

You do look rather native!

graceonline said...

I was tempted to practice a la Benchley, but couldn't resist responding. Seems you mentioned similar responses from Hawaiians last visit, too. Perhaps you have ancestors there whose spirits welcome you so wholeheartedly those in the know can't miss it.

Love the graceful, colorful draperies.