Thursday, January 13, 2011

love thursday 01.13.11 ~ bonus: mansuetude

For indeed, it is possible to attain a state of divine mansuetude that nothing dismays and nothing surprises, just as one in love might, after many years, arrive at a sublime tranquillity of the sentiments, sure of their force and durability, through constant experience of their pleasures and pains.

Honoré de Balzac
Jordan Stump
Adam Gopnik
The Wrong Side of Paris

So I forgot it was Thursday...sue me!

Rather than deleting my post and starting over, I am giving you a bonus! Doesn't everyone need a bonus now and then? The Beloved knows that after my day yesterday, a bonus would be a good idea.

Your bonus today: mansuetude.

Happy Love Thursday!

5 comments:

Joan said...

That is a wonderful word!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Bonuses are good ideas.

Operaton You said...

Here's a bonus! Peace and tranqulity you hold, as much as your mind and heart can carry!

Deb Shucka said...

What could be better than a new word to love?!

graceonline said...

Interesting. Despite the messiness of untamed passion, sometimes I like the rough edges. I'll have to sit with this one awhile. Not to say there isn't plenty of room for tranquility in my life and spirit, just that, well, never to be surprised again would be a little boring.

I like surprises, like suddenly coming across a deer on the path, or a horde of Monarch butterflies, or a stunning sunset. I love the rush of my quickened heartbeat, jumping-up-and-down excitement. I need those glad, unexpected moments as much as I need the tranquility that so often follows them.