Monday, February 21, 2011

well, that changes everything



The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself.

Rita Mae Brown

I've had an ongoing conversation with the Beloved. Well--not really a conversation as much as my railing and whining about the parts of my life that I am not happy about.

You see, here I am in middle age and I have all this potential that I haven't managed to do anything with. I get mad at myself and mad at the Beloved, too. I keep asking--wanting to know why I have skills and abilities and talents that I haven't found or made or had opportunity to express in this life time.

In the middle of my most recent "Why?" conversation, as clear as a bell I heard, "You don't have to."

Say what?

"You don't have to."

Stopped. Me. Cold. I am trying to wrap my mind around that.

Hmph. I don't have to.

That changes everything.

4 comments:

graceonline said...

Interesting. I can't wait to see what comes of that!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Sounds like Beloved and Mary are one in the same - straight shooters that are never subtle. Love that about them.

Deb Shucka said...

What a great quote, and a really interesting concept about not having to. Is this another whisper from the Beloved that you are perfect just as you are, without trying to be who you are? I can hardly wait to see how this manifests for you.

The boys don't look like they're appreciating the other in his space. :-)

Joan said...

In our attempt to be all the "ers" in life (richer, smarter, prettier, thinner, nicer, etc.) I think we put too much pressure on ourselves to be something that maybe we were not meant to be. Maybe we should just do our best and accept ourselves as we are.