Monday, July 16, 2012

why do you go away?

Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.

Terry Pratchett

from
A Hat Full of Sky


Why do you go away? In recent years, I try to go as a pilgrim rather than a tourist. A Sufi teacher told me that pilgrims travel with the idea of giving something back. I never know what I am giving--only that I want to do more than take away from my adventure.

Any plans to go away? A little over 6 weeks from now, I get to go t0 my beloved islands. Oh, yes...I do.

Aloha....

3 comments:

kario said...

I love those islands, too. Hope the time between now and then moves as swiftly as you need it to.

Joan said...

I am so excited to be able to join you on this pilgrimage. I love the idea of giving back!

graceonline said...

Oh, delighted for you! Have you ever read Isabella L. Bird's book, Six Months in the Sandwich Islands? She traveled there in the mid-1800s, and her first-person account is interesting, not only for the history and mores of the time, but for the beauty of the landscape.

Imagine hiking to the top of the tallest volcanoes, fording streams, and sleeping under the stars in skirts and button-top shoes!