Thursday, October 18, 2012

love thursday 10.18.12 ~ make them visible

If we are to love our neighbors, before doing anything else we must see our neighbors. With our imagination as well as our eyes, that is to say like artists, we must see not just their faces but the life behind and within their faces. Here it is love that is the frame we see them in. 

Frederick Buechner
Whistling in the Dark

I know what it is like to be invisible. Frequently, people just don't see me. Prejudices get in the way and we become blind.

Because I know what it feels like to be invisible, I try to see people. I try to smile at someone every day--even when I'm having a cranky day. 

And it is hard to truly smile at someone without seeing them--with the eyes and the heart. People get it. They know they are being seen.  

When I started this practice, I was amazed (and I am a bit embarrassed to say this) at how many smile back.

No comments: