Sunday, December 07, 2008

Spiders and Frogs and Love...Oh my!


We didn't have nearly so many spiders this year as we have had in years past. I think I know why.
.
Outside our front door, in the bushes lining the porch, we had our own resident frog. He would sing (or perhaps orate) in the evenings--no doubt at feeding time. In the day, we admired the spiders and their webs and the next morning, after a particularly lovely froggy symphony that evening, only a broken web remained.
.
How do I know he was male?
.
Well, of course, I don't know for sure. I never saw him and even if I had, I don't really know how to sex a frog. However, we noticed that when a male friend stood by the porch and spoke in his deep, resonant voice that the frog croaked, probably warning intruders away and protecting his territory.
.
On the other hand...maybe it was a female and she was answering his mating call.
.
What do you think?

No comments: