Monday, March 26, 2012

liar, liar

We have to make truth and nonviolence not matters for mere individual practice but for practice for groups and communities and nations. That at any rate is my dream. I shall live and die trying to realize it.

Mahatma Gandhi

Did you see the Jim Carrey movie, Liar, Liar? He is an attorney who is always telling lies. Some would call them white lies, some would call them half truths. Some would even say that he is trying to spare others' feelings at times. But he tells lies of commission, omission, and scant truth.

Then he is cursed (or blessed?) to only be able to tell the truth. Whatever comes out of his mouth has to be true--no matter what he starts to say when he opens his mouth. He changes. His life changes.

Wouldn't that be a great blessing on us all?

May it be so.

1 comment:

graceonline said...

I do believe much more good comes of knowing we can trust one another, and I have found I don't trust a person who tries to shield me from their true opinion, or perhaps to shield themselves from the consequences of sharing their true opinion.

I always wish we could simply speak honestly--and compassionately--with one another at all times.