Tuesday, September 14, 2010

apparently, i am sweet


(yeah...i know it's a bee and not a mosquito, but it is a bug and it stings
--close enough for this post)


At least mosquitoes think so. I was sitting there minding my own business--okay, so I was taking a nap...but that's my business--and I kept feeling little tickly things on my skin. I brushed them away. They came back. I looked and thought it was a gnat. It kept coming back.

Lo and behold...it was a frickin' mosquito in camouflage. I kid you not. The mask slipped and I saw its real face. Then I tried to kill it. That sucker was fast. Bit me several times before I eliminated it. Itch.

I have found that if I wear a light layer of tea tree oil, mosquitoes leave me alone. However, I was in my house--not out walking the nature trails--and was not expecting the blood sucker in disguise.

So now that I have been bitten, I will scratch and take some Antronex. That usually helps. It contains a natural antihistamine that works for me.

What are your tips for a) avoiding being bitten and b) reducing the itchiness if you have been? Please share. I'm always looking for new ways to minimize the damage.

5 comments:

kathstewart said...

I'm lucky they rarely bite me and when they do I have no reaction. For someone that has the immune system of a girl who should live in a bubble and gets itchy for no reason, this pleases me. I have no tips, although I've heard that toothpaste can ease the itching.

Deb Shucka said...

Mosquitoes don't seem to like me much - too ornery I guess. This one sounds like he decided he was at a smorgasboard.

That is one heck of a bee in the picture! Wow.

Mary'sCorner said...

So sorry, B, that skeeters love you. But I understand -- I love you too. Can't help you with the post itchy, but prophylacticly, Avon's Skin So Soft always works for me.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Just a lot of jumping around swatting and swearing.

graceonline said...

I'm lucky enough not to attract them much, but I try never to wear blue where skeeters might be. I once read they are attracted to blue, and whether true I can't say, but I had noticed prior to reading that article that my children and I seemed more susceptible when we were wearing blue--whoever was wearing blue seemed to get the most bites.