Wednesday, May 16, 2012

truth-telling 101

Honesty without kindness, humor, and goodheartedness can be just mean. From the very beginning to the very end, pointing to our own hearts to discover what is true isn’t just a matter of honesty but also of compassion and respect for what we see.

Pema Chodron

I love this. Of course, it is important to be honest. However, telling the truth at the expense of someone else's feelings and well-being is just plain not necessary. I remember Master Choa (Pranic Healing teacher) saying, "If the choice is between truth and kindness, choose kindness."

I get the point. I have been guilty of point blank brutal honesty. It is not all it is cracked up to be. I have hurt others with my honest opinions. As a practice, kindness and compassion go a lot further than "just telling the truth."

Consider. Consider the other.

No comments: