Monday, May 28, 2012

will

(the original red...after 5 coats)

I do pray for love for my neighbor, even those who commit vile acts against children and other human beings, and it is always a pleasure to witness another receiving well-deserved accolades.

But I have trouble with this part: "Force your will, as far as possible, to comply in all things with others' wishes although sometimes you may lose your own rights by doing so."

To me, allowing others to do violence to us or to abuse us in other ways, even relatively small ways, does no use to the perpetrator or to us.

I taught my children, and I continue to teach my grandchildren, to understand and respect boundaries--theirs, mine, another's. Surehttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif, there are times that giving way and giving in are useful and right. Other times, they only seem to perpetuate evil and wrongdoing.

Somehow it seems to me that we cannot fully respect another--and love them--if we have no similar respect and love for ourselves.

I am open to new understanding and suspect I am missing something. Thoughts?



One of my friends posted the above in response to this post. (Thanks for that, by the way. I do get around to things eventually--even if months later!) I didn't want to let this go by without further discussion.

I agree with you. It is important to respect boundaries--yours, mine, and others'. I hope that Teresa's prayer is not just from a place of needing to bow to the will of the patriarchal church and that it does come from a heart of Christian love. I am in no position to judge that.

On the other hand, there are times when it does behoove me to put my own will aside for the greater good. And when that is so...man, it is hard. There is a difference between putting aside one's own will for the greater good and putting it aside to give in to a powerful structure.

Agree...disagree...discuss.

No comments: