Monday, July 31, 2006

Another Expert Who Wants to Get Paid

I hope Wanda posts this because I think it relates, at least a little. I am a hairstylist and people will call me or come in the shop and ask me what kind of color they can buy and do at home themselves....hhmmm. There are a few things wrong with this. Over the phone do I know what kind of shape their hair is in and if something goes wrong whose fault it is? Then you get bad mouthed! The other thing is I didn't spend all the money and time to go to school to tell people what to do for FREE!!!! If they come in and see what a great job I can do then they will spread the word and I will have even more customers!!

sar_girl

Of course, I'll post this! Not only is it in the comments section where you left it, but it is worthy of a headline and a response.

Next time someone calls and asks you what they should use on their hair, tell them to hold the phone up like they are looking in a mirror so you can see it. Then tell them to run the phone through their hair so you can feel it. If they go through those steps, say, "Hmmm...I think you need a professional to take care of that for you. I don't know of any over the counter products you could use to handle that problem. When would you like to come in? Let's get you scheduled."

If they say, "What is it? What is the problem?"

Tell them, "I'll discuss it with you when you come in for your appointment. I can't talk about it over the phone."

Or if they come in and ask for a product name you can always tell them the name of a product and say, "When would you like to make the appointment with me?"

They say, "But I am going to do this treatment and home."

Your response is, "I know. When are you going to do it? We can schedule an appointment after that so I can fix it. Of course, I might have to charge extra for that."

Taking the high road doesn't mean you have to be humorless or a patsy. Let me know how it works.

Wanda

No comments: