Saturday, September 11, 2010

falling



We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

The banana is almost to the top of the window. I don't know if it will make it before the freezing sets in and it starts to die back for the winter.

Fall is difficult for me. Viscerally, I feel the dying. Yes, I know that is the natural order and it is required for rebirth. Just because it is the way of the universe, doesn't mean that I...we shouldn't have feelings. I do.

So I will be sad to see my beautiful banana plant die back this year. Given that I have managed to keep the plant alive through two winters now, I will hold the hope that this winter will be no different.

Infinite hope...in life.

3 comments:

Deb Shucka said...

That banana is a wonder, for sure. One thing that helps me when I'm aware time is short for a thing is to be especially conscious of my appreciation and gratitude while I still have it. I feel your sadness.

kario said...

Lovely.

graceonline said...

You are the only person I have EVER known who admitted to finding autumn difficult. I do not welcome the fall. I mourn the end of summer, gone too quickly, like a shooting star, almost before I got to notice it was here. I want green trees, thick with leaves. I want vibrant gardens, blue skies with high white cumulus clouds, warm-to-hot days and cool, breezy nights, tons and tons and tons of fresh fruits in every color, shape and size, gardens full of delicious vegetables, long evenings when children have time and energy to play outside because they're not cooped up in stuffy school buildings all day (of course, these days they're cooped up in stuffy day-cares when they're not cooped up in school, but at least there's no homework to keep them indoors). Light! Lots and lots of sunlight. Summer, yes! Fall, no.