Wednesday, September 22, 2010

terrorism



Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it.

Noam Chomsky

Guilty. So often in my language...in my reactions...in my knee jerk response, I am violent. I'm not proud of it, but I do it. Yes, it is mostly a mammalian thing to react to a perceived affront that way. Still, I would like to be more than reactive.

Fortunately, I do it mostly in private or with those who know me well and know that I am the kind who catches bugs and puts them outside--except mosquitoes. That counts for something.

I'm working toward choosing more peaceful language. I am amazed at how the fight/war/artillery language just rolls off the tongue. They are images and analogies we know only too well in this culture.

Time for a shift.



6 comments:

Deb Shucka said...

Awareness is always the starting point. I read somewhere recently that if our spiritual walk seems to not be going anywhere, we might consider how we speak of others. No gossip = spiritual rewards.

It's hard to believe your boys were ever this little, and not that long ago. :-)

Tracy said...

Time for shift... I couldn't agree more, Wanda! Brilliant, uplifting post. The more we stop acting in a violent, unkind way towards ourselves, towards other, toward all things & beings the world might be a much more peaceful place. Working on our actions and language is a great starting point. :o)

kario said...

One at a time, huh? That's all it takes.

Thanks for the reminder.

Operaton You said...

And when the shift comes...Wow! Doors you never imagined will opoen up.

It takes a lot to admit things like that to ourselves and I'm so proud of you. I stand with you in love, joy and most importantly peace!

graceonline said...

Spot on. Fighting words are so ingrained in our culture that I have to stop myself sometimes from saying something about fighting for peace, just as I had to stop calling my concerted effort to reduce our household waste a war on garbage. Thank you for opening this discussion. I love how thoughtful the comments are.

SE'LAH... said...

we all have something to work on, all the time. it's the nature of life. sending you a big HUG.

one love Sis.