Monday, April 12, 2010

happy birthday, beverly cleary!


(does anyone remember mr picky-picky?)


I grew up before there were strict leash laws.

~ Beverly Cleary ~

For some reason that quote struck me as funny. It's true. I grew up before there were strict leash laws, too. Now, unfortunately, the leash laws are important for the animals' safety from us and our traffic more than anything.

I loved reading Beverly Cleary's books growing up. All of them--even (or maybe especially) the pre-Ramona books. I may have missed some of her later ones. Perhaps I'll go to the library and catch up.

Ramona grew up on Klickitat Street here in Portland. I loved reading about someone who lived in my part of the world. Beverly Cleary grew up in Yamhill. I could / can relate to these places.

Happy birthday, Beverly Cleary! Thank you for all the joy you have brought to so many of us--children and post-children alike.

No comments: