Saturday, July 31, 2010

random thoughts saturday

Yesterday I saw this quote from Anne Rice:

For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to 'belong' to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten ...years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.

In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of ...Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.

~ Anne Rice ~
as announced on her
Facebook page

I resonate with these words.

Then today I saw this. I admit, I didn't read the article...just the headline. If the headline is true, I don't need to read the article. If someone wants to inform me that the headline is not true, I am willing to listen to the facts.

If the headline is true, then I really agree with Anne.

God help us all.



4 comments:

Deb Shucka said...

I think it might have been Eckhart Tolle who said that Jesus didn't come here to start Christianity. I've always admired her spirit.

The news thing is awful. Yikes!

graceonline said...

I read enough of the article to learn that the headline is accurate. I grew up in a parsonage, and I stand with you and Rice. The so-called Christian world all too often violates the commandment that says, "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy god in vain." I refuse to be aligned with people who foster hatred and violence in the name of Christ, who came to Earth as the Prince of Peace. Christ's teachings were of love, acceptance and understanding. Those who teach hatred and violence in his name violate the laws of God.

graceonline said...

P.S. Thank you for your courage.

Paul said...

I graduated from seminary, was a pastor for 20 years, worked at two denominational universities for 21 years. I arrived at the same decision about 15 years ago.

I've heard that Ghandi made a statement similar to "I've read the Bible and if ever I meet a Christian I will become a Christian."

Myself, I feel emotionally that "I've met Christians and I don't want to be associated with them."

This is truly a sad situation.