Saturday, November 27, 2010

growing up is hard to do


Everything we think, say, and do has an immediate effect on everyone and everything else.

Ed and Deb Shapiro

Day by day, I work to be aware of my words and deeds...and thoughts. I know that sometimes the awareness comes after the words have already left my lips. Sucking them back in doesn't work. I own them. I apologize.

Sometimes I get tired of apologizing.

Sometimes I want others to know that their thoughts, words, and deeds affect me, too.

It's so simple--and not.

3 comments:

Deb Shucka said...

Sometimes it's enough to just be, without assigning value to any of it.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I love The Four Agreements - especially, Be Impeccable WIth Your Word. We can at least strive for that.

graceonline said...

I have to apologize more than I would like to, that's for sure. I have a sharp tongue at times.

In building and maintaining relationship, it is important to share my own hurt feelings, as well as my apologetic feelings. Not every time, but sometimes, when I know it is something I can't just eat and forget.

It takes courage to trust another enough to share those feelings, but without that trust, the relationship is doomed to mediocrity. I'm for deep loving, deep living relationships, so I'm likely to take that risk, if I value the friendship.