Friday, January 15, 2010

giving

(look at the size of that paw)

If I see [a] gift as mine alone to give, I might give hesitantly, even grudgingly, considering my options, then giving from a sense of ought. If I see the gift as God's who allows me to use it for a time, then the gift can flow more freely, as I join with others to be a channel for God's love and mercy.

~ Roberta Porter ~
from her poem, "Grace in Giving"

I know that all I have is God's. Some days...I feel I have nothing to give.

No offense, God.

6 comments:

Joan said...

Days like that come to all of us. Believe me, you have a lot to give. Your daily posts to this blog are a gift in themselves. Thank you for continuing to do so.

Anonymous said...

be kind to yourself. of course you have a lot to give.

Mary'sCorner said...

God takes no offense.

And, btw, that paw is pretty amazing. Almost Sailor-sized!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Where's the place where I get to voice my disagreement? Oh, yea, HERE!

Deb Shucka said...

Lovely quote. Maybe the empty days are the ones when you're to be on the receiving end of God's giving through someone else.

museofsouthprairie said...

His paw looks as big as our Sonny's. I'm pretty sure Sonny could wear a size 3 children's shoe. :-) Sonny can't fit through the cat door. The vet says he's not overweight, just big. However, the biggest cat I've ever seen belongs to my friend, Penny. He's the size of a toddler. Gus, he's named. He looks like Jabba the Hut.