Wednesday, April 25, 2012

because we haven't had enough dolly lately

When I'm inspired, I get excited because I can't wait to see what I'll come up with next!!

Dolly

Wouldn't it be a kick to sit and have tea with her? How can one person come up with so many pithy statements?

Another one I read the other day from Dolly: "I will never be like Meryl Streep...but then she will never be like Dolly." Ain't that the truth?

Wonderful, beautiful, original women--both of them. And talented and...the list goes on.

Speaking of women...did you hear that Tennessee has voted in both the Senate (28-2) and House (80-18) to make miscarriage murder? I wonder how many women are in those legislative bodies. I would guess that not more than 2 senators and not more than 18 members of the house are women. As I understand it, this bill is not limited to situations like violent attacks causing miscarriage so that the attacker can then be charged with murder. It covers any act that might be deemed contributing to miscarriage. According to whom, I wonder?

I think Dolly should run for President and Meryl should be her VP. Maybe things would change for the better...for a change.

(Have you ever noticed how many questions I ask? Must be the Socratic method.)

3 comments:

graceonline said...

Love Dolly. I have to admit, every time I see her, I wish she could finally give up the wigs, the corsets, the high heels and all the other uncomfortable gear and just be a woman easy in her skin. But perhaps that would be uncomfortable for her.

Back in the 70s or 80s, Ms. Magazine ran a short story about just such a scenario as we are finding in these state legislatures promulgating these horrific miscarriage laws.

In the short story, a pregnant woman is monitored moment to moment by implants that check her blood sugar, blood pressure, heart rate, etc., as well as monitor absolutely every thing she eats and drinks.

Something happens that raises her blood pressure and the pregnancy police knock down her door, put her in cuffs on a gurney and haul her away to the hospital where they remove the fetus and put it into an incubator, then charge her for reckless endangerment or something like and imprison her. Oh yes, they also sterilize her so she can never put more fetuses at risk.

I do believe the author knew how prophetic her story might be.

Joan said...

I love Dolly!

Wanda said...

I love Dolly, too. My thought when I see her is that I hope she will stop with the nips and tucks. I support her right to do what she wants with her body. I thought she was more beautiful before the last (several?) tucks.