Wednesday, December 14, 2011

ch-ch-ch-changes...


Pain, as dramatically presented in the message of the cross, tells us about the high price of change. Real change never comes easily. It always feels like dying. All we can really do is get out of the way by not being so defensive, so overprotective of our opinions, our nation, our religion, our gender. These are just labels, and they are all passing away.

All we can really do is to stop stopping the natural process of growth, and trust a larger purpose.

In all of the natural world, everything is dying to become something else. Why would we be any exception? Just watch the solids, liquids, and vapors. Just watch the animals giving their lives for another species. Just watch the trees and plants creating soil itself by losing their leaves and dying for another season. Just watch the sun that is in the process of dying so all things here can live. It is the pattern of the universe, and we alone try to sit it out.

Richard Rohr

"G0-Back Road" is not an option. Since change is the only constant, I have decided to make peace with it. Okay...I'm working on making peace with it.

I notice how cranky I get when I can't buy the same products I've always used. Or the place I like to eat has changed the recipe. Or Facebook makes another stupid change (...I said I'm working on it). I do notice.

Ah, yes. Yet another application for "Love For No Reason at All." Peace and equanimity in the face of unwanted, unexpected, misunderstood change seems a lot like love to me.

1 comment:

graceonline said...

"These are just labels, and they are all passing away." Yes.

"Peace and equanimity in the face of unwanted, unexpected, misunderstood change seems a lot like love to me." Yes again.

Thank you.