Thursday, December 15, 2011

love thursday 12.15.11 ~ away in a manger OR the prince of peace


(he wrapped himself in swaddling clothes
and tucked himself in the manger--
okay...he cuddled in a blanket on the couch)

Beg our Lord to grant you perfect love for your neighbor… If someone else is well spoken of, be more pleased than if it were yourself… Force your will, as far as possible, to comply in all things with others’ wishes although sometimes you may lose your own rights by doing so. Forget your self-interests for theirs, however much nature may rebel.

Teresa of Avila

'Tis the season for giving. Oh, that our leaders would listen to this. It is not about winning and losing. It is about taking care of each other. Time to put away selfish things and power plays...please.

1 comment:

graceonline said...

I do pray for love for my neighbor, even those who commit vile acts against children and other human beings, and it is always a pleasure to witness another receiving well-deserved accolades.

But I have trouble with this part: "Force your will, as far as possible, to comply in all things with others' wishes although sometimes you may lose your own rights by doing so."

To me, allowing others to do violence to us or to abuse us in other ways, even relatively small ways, does no use to the perpetrator or to us.

I taught my children, and I continue to teach my grandchildren, to understand and respect boundaries--theirs, mine, another's. Sure, there are times that giving way and giving in are useful and right. Other times, they only seem to perpetuate evil and wrongdoing.

Somehow it seems to me that we cannot fully respect another--and love them--if we have no similar respect and love for ourselves.

I am open to new understanding and suspect I am missing something. Thoughts?