Sunday, May 13, 2012

is right the same for everyone?

You must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right.

Rosa Parks

One of my Facebook friends and former student "hosted" a conversation today about the righteous beliefs of certain individuals effecting behaviors that cause harm to others. He is a licensed minister himself, yet he has come to a place in his search where he is no longer able to embrace the evangelical path he once followed. He shared deeply and honestly about his beliefs and his questions. I honor and applaud him for that.

A passionate discussion ensued. What amazes me is how "right" the believers think they are. The host quite honestly said, "I don't know. Maybe you're right. Maybe not. But I don't believe that is the Truth." His gentleness and sincerity endeared him to me.

All I could add to the discussion is this: "I think when it is time to meet 'the maker' we will be surprised at what is considered sin. EVERY ONE of us will be surprised about something." I'd even go so far as to say that what is "right" for one person is "sin" for another in some situations.

It all comes down to Love, doesn't it? That's always right.

1 comment:

Joan said...

Love encompasses so many good things. I believe you are right about our surprise when we meet our Maker. And I do not believe that there is only one "right." God made us all different, but with one common thread...All we need is love!