Wednesday, May 02, 2012

rich life of ease

We've forgotten that a rich life consists fundamentally of serving others, trying to leave the world a little better than you found it. We need the courage to question the powers that be, the courage to be impatient with evil and patient with people, the courage to fight for social justice. In many instances we will be stepping out on nothing, and just hoping to land on something. But that's the struggle. To live is to wrestle with despair, yet never allow despair to have the last word.

Cornel West

from
The Impossible Will Take a Little While

On a day when I am frustrated by the things I'm not getting accomplished, the problems that are beyond my control to solve, the people who are oblivious to the rest of us moving through the same place and time with them, it is good to remember that serving others and improving the planet are always in my realm of choice.

I keep forgetting that this year's word is ease. Many parts have not and do not seem easy at all. Yet, I have learned from this process in years past that the path is not always one defined by the key word. The path usually challenges me to find my word in the midst of...something else.

Finding ease in the midst of frustration, confusion, struggle, and despair--that's my challenge this year. May you find ease in the middle of it all.

1 comment:

graceonline said...

I am always most grateful when you share your wisdom and bits of your life with us.

Thank you especially for this: "Yet, I have learned from this process in years past that the path is not always one defined by the key word. The path usually challenges me to find my word in the midst of...something else."

I have been wondering why I'm not making more progress with my own word this year: Community. I will sit with your wisdom and see what I might learn from it.

And to you I say: May ease find you.