Monday, August 07, 2006

I like to watch, Eve...

Dear Wanda,

As a hairstylist I like to watch other stylists so their job, be it on TV or in a salon. Do you like to watch/listen to other advise (ex: Dr. Phil or Dr. Joy) people and see if you would give them the same advice?

Signed, Scissor Happy :)


Dear Scissor Happy--

Oh...so now you are going to get me to reveal myself, hmm?

First of all, I don't watch t.v. I know, I know. I am sure it is hard to imagine not watching t.v., but I find so much of the fare to be inane and a waste of time. I don't seem to have enough time to do everything I want anyway.

I do, however, know who Dr. Phil is. Some of my clients listen to him and find his advice to be quite useful--in spite of his manner. He has a specific audience with whom he is very effective. I understand that he views his job as providing education to the public, and I say, "Go Phil!" We can't have too much of that.

And, I have to admit, I didn't know who Dr. Joy was until now. I looked her up and here's what I found on Wikipedia:
...Browne has a reputation for being gentle, and not adversarial towards her callers. Browne does, however, take a no-nonsense approach to calls, trying to hone in on a problem without getting caught up in callers' long stories or digressions.
That works for me. Maybe I'll have to tune in to Dr. Joy and see how much we would agree.

Thanks for the good idea...and thanks for asking.

Wanda

PS - The title of this post is from Peter Sellers' as Chance the Gardner in Being There. If you haven't seen it, do.

No comments: