Sunday, May 18, 2008

If YOU were Wanda, what would YOU do?

I originally posted this as a response to a comment on the previous post, but I decided that it bears greater visibility--and I want to know what you think.

Let's talk about the police crimes I have seen.

I go to a gasoline cardlock to buy my fuel. Frequently, the local police are there fueling up at the end of their shifts.

A couple of important safety rules are in place to use the cardlock pumps: 1) Don't use cell phones while standing by the pumps outside of your vehicle because of the potential for static spark. 2) Stay by the pump and don't get back in your car in case of fire or pump malfunction.

So what do I see? A gaggle of about four officers fueling two vehicles, all yukking it up...one of them talking on a cell phone.

Another day, the officer who is fueling his vehicle gets back in the car. I am standing by the pump I am using when gasoline overflows his tank and pours on the ground. I stop his pump and pound on his window. He is OBLIVIOUS and says, "Did it shut off?" I told him that it didn't and it was pouring all over the ground. What did he do? He made a joke of it.

And here's the kicker:

I was at a stop light behind a police car where the officer driving was talking on a cell phone. The light turned green. He didn't move, so I tapped on the horn. He took off--speeding through a SCHOOL ZONE. How do I know he was speeding? I was going the 20 mph speed limit and he PULLED AWAY from me. Hmm. It was at this very same place where a friend of mine got a $250 speeding ticket for going too fast. Makes me wish they had caught the cop on photo radar. Do you think he would have been ticketed? I hope so.

So here's my question...if you were Wanda, what would you do having witnessed these egregious errors--all from members of the same police force? Would you let it slide? Would you...? What would you do?

Wanda

4 comments:

Kapuananiokalaniakea said...

OMG!! The Wanda I know would zoom after the offending officer(s) in her flashy car with her top down and tell them what is.
"Hey you!" she would yell. "Yeah, you in the too tight uniforms. You are driving recklessly and endangering the safety as others and it is my duty as a citizen of our fair city to make a citizen's arrest. I've called the precinct for back-up and they are on their way. I suggest you wait calmly as I KNOW that you don't want me to have to use your cuffs!"
And they would argue with her and she would just keep on repeating the same thing over and over again -- until she finally gets to use the cuffs!

Wanda said...

I love it that my reputation is something for me to strive toward!

This is terrific. I'll keep it in mind for the next time. (But do you really think I would have the nerve to do that?)

Kapuananiokalaniakea said...

As the repeated borrower of your backbone, I would say yes, in a heartbeat and with grace.

Wanda said...

Thanks, Love.