Saturday, August 28, 2010

differences


So, let us not be blind to our differences--but let us also direct attention to our common interests and to the means by which those differences can be resolved. And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal.

JFK

Seeing differences without judgment seems to me to be a sign of maturity. Different. Not better than. Not worse than. Just different.

I love the concept of sitting "with grace and acceptance." I may not like it, but it is what it is. I may not be able to change it either. Acceptance and grace are stepping stones to peace. We don't all have to be the same for peace to reign.

7 comments:

Deb Shucka said...

Amen. Acceptance has been my word for a long time now. I think I might actually be getting it - the gift of it - finally. Whew!

Tracy said...

Very good thoughts for today, Wanda... I like the "just different"--that's how I try to consider thing. Sometimes, depending on situations, it's not always easy at first... but coming back to "just different" helps and I regain some calm. More action than reaction. :o) Ooo... give that sweet kitty with the cream belly a cuddle from me... too cute these ginger babies! Happy Weekend, Wanda ((HUGS))

Mary'sCorner said...

I agree with both you and JFK, B. And, as I've always said (and sang), peace begins with me.

Joan said...

Love your words of wisdom.

kario said...

"...make the world safe for diversity." Indeed, let us make the world a place to CELEBRATE diversity.

Amen.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

There is no "them."

graceonline said...

"Acceptance and grace are stepping stones to peace. We don't all have to be the same for peace to reign." Let's make it so.