Wednesday, December 29, 2010

peace


Ultimately, humanity is one, and this small planet is our only home. If we are to protect this home of ours, each of us needs to feel a vivid sense of universal altruism. It is only this feeling that can remove the self-centered motives that cause people to deceive and misuse one another. If you have a sincere and open heart, you naturally feel self-worth and confidence, and there is no need to be fearful of others.

HH Dalai Lama

My Ordinary friend, Kathryn, told me about this site.

"Only Love Prevails."

Their idea is that it takes a small number of us (proportionally) to effect a shift in attitude, consciousness, direction. They are making it easy for those of us who are wanting to create the paradigm shift to be known to each other.

I am already doing many of their suggestions. I stopped watching TV about 10 years ago. I stopped reading the newspaper several years ago. Now I skim the headlines of an online headline email and read only what calls to me--not much negativity gets through. I can't tolerate listening to the news on the radio.

I am working toward changing my thinking and my speaking. While I have not arrived where I hope to be ultimately, I eliminate some negativity daily. Yay me. Yay us. Yay for the planet.

My latest challenge is finding movies that I want to watch. Violence, sexual assault, drugs, violence, crudity, poor production values, unintelligent and unintelligible dialog, dysfunction, mean people, crime, war, violence--did I mention violence?

Watching movies in the evening is my major form of entertainment. I am unwilling to subject myself to a continual onslaught of traumatic images. Not. Entertaining. (May the movie industry find this site soon, too...please.)

So, join me, please. Let's make peace. Together we can.

4 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Fear is TFBS.

kario said...

Try this site, too. I have a feeling it will speak to you.

http://www.gnhworldproject.com/GNHWP/Welcome.html

graceonline said...

I've attempted to leave a comment on this post three times, and each time, Zap! Pow! Zowie! It disappeared. So I'll try again to say thank you so much for mentioning me and for the link, and especially thank you for pointing to the Peace Experiment site.

I agree. It is difficult, in a world where depictions of the most vile human aggression and violence are considered entertainment, to find movies that uplift the soul. Two we recently watched, one of which I believe you mentioned, are The Secret Life of Bees and Finding Forrester. Both left me feeling good and gave me hope.

This year I'm all about visioning a world in which greed, anger and hatred simply do not exist. Can you imagine it? That's one way I join you in making peace.

Wanda said...

Kathryn: I've seen both of those and enjoyed them a lot. Wish there were some new ones coming out like that.