Sunday, December 19, 2010

prayer

(st. damien @ painted church in hawaii)

I pray every single second of my life; not on my knees, but with my work. My prayer is to lift woman to equality with man. Work and worship are one with me. I can not imagine a God of the universe made happy by my getting down on my knees.


Susan B. Anthony

There is more than one way to pray. Susan B. Anthony with her work to lift woman to equality with man...St. Damien to care for and minister to the lepers.

I pray with my eyes open and with them closed. I pray standing, sitting, lying down, and--yes, kneeling sometimes. I don't think it matters how we pray, but that we pray. And I don't think it matters how we worship, but that we do.

May your worship be deep and sweet today.

4 comments:

Joan said...

Oh, I do agree! God is everywhere and is All-Knowing. He will hear us!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Totally.

Deb Shucka said...

I think the most effective prayers are those we do with our actions and our hearts and in gratitude. That Susan B. was a very wise woman. May your holiday season be filled with worship.

graceonline said...

Love Susan B. One of my personal heroes. She had the gift of wisdom and the words to share it. Beautiful. I get on my knees to scrub floors and play with the tykes. Nothing else! But quite often I am praying when I do both of those--sometimes I'm praying that I'll be able to get up again.