Monday, November 14, 2011

tolerance



The most lovable quality any human being can possess is tolerance.... It is the vision that enables one to see things from another’s viewpoint.... It is the generosity that concedes to others the right to their own opinions and their own peculiarities... It is the bigness that enables us to let people be happy in their own way instead of our way.

Unknown

I am disturbed and perturbed. I know that politics is not for the faint of heart--or any other body part. I know that tolerance is a virtue and I am willing to tolerate disparate points of view.

What disturbs and perturbs me are lies. You can make up your own opinion, but you don't get to make up the facts.

I see quotations used to further political agendas attributed to sources that are not likely to have said those words. Other like-minded individuals pick up the words attributed to the famous person and spread them around. Now, "notable 100 year old person" is quoted on numerous sites saying something he is not likely to have said, let alone thought. BUT the words support the mindset of a political stripe, so now they have a rallying cry attributable to "notable 100 year old person." If it is attributed to him, it (both the words and the attribution) must be true!

People...give me a break. Stop using fear on me. Stop making up facts to support your control issues. Stop attributing words, motives, and blame to everyone else.

Give me actual information and let me decide for myself. I will respect your right to your opinion even when we disagree. I only wish that your viewpoint could make you happy.

1 comment:

Susan O'Neil said...

Hear, Hear! If you have to lie to support your position, you don't have much of a position.