Tuesday, April 26, 2011

mri


If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Lord, have mercy...

I am not so good at remembering that. I am not so good at giving the other guy the benefit of the doubt.

One of my friends talks about the MRI. Whenever someone does or says something that is unclear, give it the MRI--Most Respectful Interpretation.

I need to apply this more broadly, in the spirit of Longfellow. More often, I need to show mercy when things don't go well. It's not that I need to be a doormat. I will not. But sometimes...

Sometimes I just need to cut people some slack.

Lord, cut me some slack...please.

2 comments:

kario said...

I was watching Brene Brown speak yesterday and something she said struck me: everyone has a story, and they'll all touch you or break your heart.

Yup. Good to remember.

Deb Shucka said...

Usually when I have a harder time than usual cutting slack, it's because I'm not being kind to myself.