Friday, November 20, 2009

#500...and ankle follow up

Auspicious? I hope so. My 500th post on the blog is the update on my procedure. Something about the round numbers feels good.

The procedure is called "Prolotherapy." The doctor injects a dextrose solution into the soft tissue around the joint causing an inflammatory response, which "tightens" the ligaments and stabilizes the joint. Of course, as with all medical procedures, there is no guarantee and it doesn't work (or doesn't work well enough) in all cases.

The doctor I saw does the procedure under fluoroscope or real time x-ray. Many doctors do the procedure blind, using anatomical markers as the indicator of where to place the injection. That's how the technique is taught. My doctor has a fluoroscope in his office. I figure it makes his aim better.

(ankle: foot at the top)


Because the ankle bone is connected to the knee bone, and because I have had a considerable amount of pain at the knee as well as the ankle, he did an injection at the head of the fibula, too.

(knee)


If you look closely, you can actually see the needle in the pictures:

(two injections in the ankle)


(one in the knee--the black line is the needle)

Looks like a pretty good aim to me.

Today, I feel like I have a badly sprained ankle that goes all the way up to my knee. That's how it is supposed to feel. For a couple days, I will be hobbling. After that, it should keep getting better and better.

I have another procedure scheduled next month. The doctor says it is possible that I won't need it and that one round of injections will be enough. Whether he was giving me a hypnotic suggestion or basing his comment on experience, it would be okay with me if one round did the job. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for all your good wishes and support. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

sierramadre said...

It appears that you have a doctor who is up on the latest technology. I hope that is an indication that you are in the best of hands. I trust that your ankle will improve, and you will not have to undergo the second round of injections.

SE'LAH... said...

OMG...so behind on your blog. Hope you are feeling much better.

Sending positive vibes your way dear friend.

One Love.

Joan said...

I am hoping that this one treatment will do the job. It is not fun to be hobbling and hurting.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Just catching up on blogs - sorry I wasn't sending my love and prayers at your time of need, but I'm sending them now - for complete healing!

love.