Sunday, November 22, 2009

do you surrender?

Dear Wanda,

Do you ever feel like surrendering your blog?

Jane


Dear Jane,

Yes.

For years--all the way through high school and college and even into my early adulthood--I kept journals. In the attic I have pages and pages of spiral notebooks. Much of it is mind garbage that I felt a need to offload. Little of it is inspired or inspiring. I just needed to write, so I did.

I can't remember exactly when I stopped writing in my journal daily. I think I was in my 30s and going through some kind of relationship crisis. "Why" doesn't really matter at this point. I stopped--and it wasn't good for me.

A few years ago, I started blogging as part of a class I took. I enjoyed it from the beginning. The first blog I started fell by the wayside, because I was no longer inspired by it (or for it). Then I started this one.

It, too, has evolved. I started it as an "advice column". However, with a small readership, I just didn't get enough requests for my infinite wisdom. I started posting my photographs, an inspiring quotation, and writing whatever was on my mind. Occasionally, like now, I would get a request and happily respond.

This year, I made two creative commitments: 1) Take a self portrait every day, and 2) post to this blog daily. So far, I have kept both.

Sometimes I wonder why I continue this blog. The short answer is...I need a place to write. And I need an audience other than the inside of my head. I don't know how many people come regularly to read--maybe a dozen? What is important is that I find my voice to share with others.

Will I continue to post daily next year? I don't know. Will I continue this blog? I don't know. The question that I have needed to answer is "Will you surrender to your blog?"

And for me, that answer is also yes. Because, Jane, if it weren't for this blog (and yours) I wouldn't have gotten to know you.

You know?

Wanda

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations on your 500th!

Susan O'Neil said...

I'm glad you continue to blog. I look forward to reading what you have to say! Thanks.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I know!

Joan said...

I hope you continue writing here, too. I look forward to it daily even though some days I am unable to come up with an intelligent comment to post. I started writing in a journal about four months ago and I find it helpful to have an outlet for my feelings. You are an inspiration to me. Hope you know that.

Deb Shucka said...

I hope you'll continue in one way or the other.

SE'LAH... said...

I, too, look forward to what you write. Love your quotes and words of wisdom you share with us daily.

One Love.