Wednesday, May 06, 2009

i kid you not

(new shoot on the moso...five of them on this plant)
I think of life itself now as a wonderful play that I've written for myself... and so my purpose is to have the utmost fun playing my part.

~ Shirley MacLaine ~

Today the squirrels came knocking on the door again, asking for food. Red and Gray kept pointing at their mouths and stomachs and looking at me. I picked up the peanut canister, carrying it out with me as I always do. When I rounded the corner and they could see me, Gray jumped into the trees and Red came running toward me.

I kid you not. Running. Toward me.

I gave him a peanut and he took off to the trees to eat it. He'd come back to the railing and take a peanut, then jump into the trees to eat it. Back and forth. At least 1/2 dozen times. Twice, he stayed on the railing to eat--after moving some distance away, of course.

Gray kept observing, but was too nervous to try it himself. Soon two stellar jays arrived. They heard about the peanuts and wanted some of the action, coming closer than ever to me, yet keeping a safe distance. Red decided too much company meant he was through for the day, so I came in and he scampered farther up into the trees.

I know the behavior was totally food motivated, but he was running toward me. I can't wait to see what is next.

7 comments:

SE'LAH... said...

Huge smile on my face. I am so excited. You're becoming a wild animal trainer ;-). That is so great.

margie said...

you realize this is a commitment and they will be coming over for dinner all summer!!

Joan said...

How Exciting!! I can't wait till I get there so I can watch! Hope you have a big peanut budget!

christina said...

I'm not gonna lie, I act the same dang way, when it comes to food. : )
xo

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I can't help but be struck that the closer he comes, the more words come to you!

Wanda said...

Se'Lah...makes me smile, too.

margie...yep. And they are all invited. A commitment is easy when our mutual expectations are so low.

Joan...I can't wait either--and I hope the budget is big enough.

Christina...you crack me up.

Carrie...thanks for the observation. I wonder if it is coincidence or cause and effect? Your input is welcome.

rebecca said...

Cool with the squirrels. That picture is amazing.