Thursday, September 03, 2009

love thursday 09.03.09 ~ i love saint francis

(saint francis on my back deck)

Remember that when you leave this earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received ... but only what you have given: a full heart, enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage.

~ St. Francis of Assisi ~


He had his foibles. Just like the rest of us. But it didn't stop him from acting in Love.

I wonder if he would have flipped people off in traffic. I wonder if he was cranky and fed up with oblivious people. I wonder if he used language that would have curled the toenails of a nun's corpse.

I know I am not a saint. (Ha! I first wrote, "I know I am a saint.") I don't know if non-Catholics can be saints anyway.

The point is, I believe in love. I believe in acting in Love whenever I can. And even when I screw up--in the next moment, I can choose again to act in Love. I get to start over...as many times a day as I need to.


Thank God.

(And thank you all for your supportive comments yesterday. I appreciate your coming along for the ride.)

3 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I think there are plenty of non-Catholic saints.

christina said...

this is a favorite photo that you have shared.
St. Francis gives me strength.
xo

Joan said...

There are lots of saints among us.

And yes, thank God, that we get chances to start over after a screw up!