Tuesday, September 08, 2009

we have laws for a reason


These practices are not just morally reprehensible, but they’re bad for the economy. When unscrupulous employers break the law, they’re robbing families of money to put food on the table, they’re robbing communities of spending power, and they’re robbing governments of vital tax revenues.

~ Annette Bernhardt ~
Co-director of the National Employment Law Project
and an author of a study showing that low-wage workers
are routinely cheated out of overtime pay and workers'
compensation, and are often paid less than the minimum wage.
(Source: The New York Times)

Seems to me that when people work a full time job, they should be able to live on it--and by live, I mean be able to take care of their basic needs.

Food
Shelter
Clothing
Health care
Disease prevention

Or is it just me?

3 comments:

Joan said...

Seems like it to me, too!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Not just you.

Susan O'Neil said...

I WANT A KITTY!!!!!!
oh, back to topic: yeah, me too!