Friday, September 04, 2009

we gotta do something

(an accidental photo, untouched)

This made the rounds on Facebook yesterday:

No one should die because they cannot afford health care, and no one should go broke because they get sick. If you agree, please post this as your status for the rest of the day.

I did.

What good will it do? It will let those of us who agree know that we are not alone. Even if we don't agree on how to get there, perhaps it will help us keep our eye on the goal.

In Oregon, the state passed a bill that will place a 1% tax on health insurance premiums in order to provide coverage for the under-insured and uninsured. I got a letter today that my health insurance company is raising my premium by 1%. So for the second time this year, my premium will increase.

Which one of us do you think makes more money? Me or the insurance company? I am willing to help those who can't do it for themselves. I believe in that kind of help. To tell you the truth, however, I'd like to see that come out of some of the executives' salaries or bonuses. At this rate, I could become one of the uninsured or under-insured.

I'm just saying.


3 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I know, it's exasperating!

Joan said...

I have health insurance, too. I work for it and I pay a lot of money for it. And then I have to pay a lot of money for my deductible and my percent of the bill that is not covered. Sometimes I think I should quit work and go on the system. It would not be so complicated for me that way. But could I live with myself?

Anonymous said...

healthcare is so frustrating... am having porblems with my insurance provider right now, so totally understand the issue.